Community is extremely important in Mexico and there are a lot of organizations working to improve the lives of various communities. This kind of work can vary greatly and can fall under a number of categories but all the projects listed here have a community aspect at their core.
- Hub Oaxaca is a shared working space for social projects in Oaxaca.
- Fundación En Via combines tourism and micro-finance to fight poverty by providing interest-free microloans to help women in Oaxaca start or expand their small businesses.
- Nija’nu works to improve the quality of life of elders living in extreme poverty in the Mixteca by providing them with food, shelter, and care.
- Fundación Comunitaria de Oaxaca works to enhance the quality of life of vulnerable and marginalized populations of Oaxaca.
- Museos Comunitarios works with communities to create local museums that help to retain the history of the community and its members.
- El Circulo de Mujeres supports women in building healthy and viable communities .
- Piña Palmera works in the southern coast of Oaxaca to provide rehabilitation, social integration and information to people with disabilities.
- Ideas Comunitarias works to generate a society with justice and dignity by working with communities to build healthy relationships in harmony with their environment.
- Libros para Pueblos works to provide books and libraries to marginalized communities in Oaxaca.
- Techamos una Mano build eco-homes based on Tetra Pak and PET for families in urban poverty.
- Innovando la Tradición is a creative platform where artisans, designers and artists serve potters or Oaxacan pottery communities to support the development of their craft.
- Colectivo 1050º is a collective of artisans, designers and artists who produce and sell high quality utilitarian pottery with designs arising from collaborative processes inspired by tradition and change.
- Vida Nueva is a Zapotec women’s weaving collective in Teotitlan del Valle . They can be contacted by email, [email protected]
- Paz en las Manos is a sustainable living community based in San Agustin Etla.