The state of Oaxaca is the most biodiverse in Mexico and climates can differ dramatically from the central valleys to the high mountainous areas. Oaxaca is a city that developed fairly rapidly and therefore faces environmental challenges related to that. There are a great number of inventive and forward thinking organizations and environmental projects in Oaxaca.
- SiKanda (Solidaridad Internacional Kanda) has been working on alternative technology, composting and building eco houses with the trash pickers at Oaxaca’s dump since 2009.
- Mundo Ceiba promote the use of bicycles in Oaxaca with a number of different initiatives.
- INSO (Instituto de la Naturaleza y Sociedad de Oaxaca) works with alternative technologies, such as clean-burning stoves, eco toilets and water conservation.
- Tierra del Sol is a permaculture and sustainable living center based on the outskirts of Oaxaca City.
- Puente a la Salud Comunitaria contributes to food sovereignty and advances the health and well-being of rural communities in Mexico by promoting the consumption, production, and comercialization of amaranth.
- Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior.
- Divertigranja is a farm/petting zoo for children with and without disabilities.
- AgroSanO is working towards an ideal of food sovereignty through biointensive organic agriculture.
- Permacultura y Agrocooperativismo Sostenible A.C. works towards building sustainable communities cooperatively.
- Paz en las Manos is a sustainable living community based in San Agustin Etla.
* Photo courtesy of SiKanda